Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Developing GAME Plan

The first step in making the GAME plan is to create a goal which you would like to accomplish. In order to even begin this process, you must be a self-directed learner. Discovering areas of weakness can be a good way to start finding your goals and taking the first step in self-directed learning. After viewing the International Society for Technology in Education I was able to focus in on some standards and indicators and see where I need to improve as an educator.

One area that I would like to focus on would be in the second standard, Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008). One area that I specifically do not feel confident in is number 2c. As I am becoming familiar with creating and implementing assignments and assessments using technology, I have found that I am not taking into consideration students diverse learning styles. I am currently using technology in my classroom, however, I think that I am not using the resources I have available to the best of their abilities. I plan improve in this area by seeking out colleagues in a learning community in order to discover more techniques.

Another area that I would like to improve in is Modeling Digital-Age Work and Learning. Specifically 3b in which I collaborate with parents and the community members. I am beginning to make connections using my classroom website along with the school’s infinite campus grade posting website, however, I cannot be sure that I am reaching students, parents, and the rest of the community. Just as with the other area which I felt a lack of confidence, I plan on turning to colleagues to find strategies, techniques, and suggestions.

References:

International Society of Technology in Education. (2008). NETS for Teachers. Retrieved January 10, 2011, from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

4 comments:

  1. Francesca,

    My school has just started posting grades online and it has been a difficult process for many of our parents to adjust to. Only 10 percent of them have even signed up for accounts and we started this in October! It has definitely been frustrating because it is a great opportunity for the school and parents to keep in closer contact.

    To try and increase the number of parents using the system, we plan to have a station at our spring conferences so that we can get parents on the computer and signed up for an account. That way if any of them are confused they can receive help from us. At my school we hope this will get more parents comfortable with using the system to monitor grades and keep in contact with the school.

    Maybe if you take some time to walk parents through your website during an Open House or conferences it will increase their comfort with communicating in that way.

    Thanks for sharing your GAME plan,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. One website I came across may be of interest to you - it has to do with Modeling Digital Age Work and Learning:
    http://www.hotchalk.com/mydesk/index.php/all-articles/945-iste-netst-part-3-model-digital-age-work-and-learning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    We have actually been using the program for about 7 years now. The district does a decent job of explaining HOW to use it; the problem becomes getting parents accustomed to checking it. There is no signing up -- just using your password. We actually have a "paperless" route now where all progress reports and report cards can be viewed on the web and save some paper and postage! We actually have a summary section in which we can tell how often parents or students sign in to view their grades. A classroom survey showed only a small percent do not have internet access at home. The key now is getting parents involved!

    Noreen --- thank you for the resource!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Francesca,
    How do you plan on finding out if you are reaching students and parents with your technology. Or, more specifically, how can you know that you are reaching the people you would like to reach? Do you have an idea how to check on who is viewing you internet resources? Our school district has a log-in counter. So, I can not only see that Student A has looked at her grades but have done so for several times throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete